A Morning Routine that Ensures Success for the Whole Day
Funny that I'm writing about this because this is an area that I've struggled with for years. I mean, kind of. Struggle in the fact that I haven't really ever considered myself a morning person.
I'm a "night owl" and have been all of my life (according to my parents, even when I was an infant). But the fact is, my alarm goes off between 5 a.m. and 5:30 a.m., 5-6 days a week. So, my habit of going to bed at midnight or later was really affecting my health. I was generally running on 4-5 hours of sleep and 6 hours on a good night. Which, from what I was reading, basically allows you to function like that of a drunk person all day long. Awesome.
Anyway, they say, "You teach what you most need to learn", and while I wouldn't say I've mastered this whole 7-8 hours of sleep thing. I'm doing much better just by trying to be intentional about it. And it's making a huge impact on my focus and productivity during the day. Here are 6 habits I stick to every single morning that assure that I get on the right track for the rest of the day. I encourage you to establish a morning routine that works for you. Here are some of my habits:
1. Be well rested--Start by ensuring you are getting no less than 7 hours of sleep a day. Seven full hours. Anything less and you will not be functioning on all cylinders the next day. On the other hand, being well rested can help improve memory and focus, it can also lower stress, inflammation, fat retention, depression, etc.
2. Hydrate--I leave a glass of water beside my bed at night and the minute my feet hit the floor, I grab my water and drink every last drop. I drink a lot other "concoctions' in the morning that I will talk about over time, but this one is easy and already prepared from the night before. Your body has gone 7-9 hours without any liquid, you wake up dehydrated, so start the day off right! You can have your coffee shortly! If you aren't a water drinker, try to find a way to make it a new habit. Add some fruit! Just a squeeze of lemon can make a huge difference and adds lots of detoxification benefits.
3. Step away from the phone--no email, no Facebook, no Instagram. Start your day by reading or listening to something positive and uplifting. Find a favorite Podcast, start your day with a Devotional or by reading the Bible (I use She Works His Way's guide for daily reading), or any sort of personal development book. And learn to skip the news! I've pretty much banned the news from my life. I read headlines just enough to keep myself "in the know", but I don't listen to details, which are likely false and just panic inducing most of the time.
4. Make my bed, wash my face, brush my teeth--these 3 things combined take 5 minutes and help get me ready for the day ahead and make me feel like I've accomplished a few tasks right away! )And yes, I'm a bed-maker. I don't function well in a mess and chaos, which is what an unmade bed looks like to me!)
5. Stretch and breathe (move your muscles and wake everything up)-- This can take as long as 2 minutes or how ever long you have or desire. Oxygenate those muscles by focusing on your breathing and loosen them up with light stretching or some simple yoga poses.
5. Start your morning with good nutrition--mornings can be crazy around here, but I'm pretty particular about what we eat. It's not fancy and none of it takes much time, but we rarely, if ever really, start our day with cereal or toast. General options in our house are eggs (almost always over easy), smoothies, oatmeal. Seriously, none of it takes longer than 5-7 minutes from start to finish to put together and I feel good about giving myself and my kids a healthy start to the day. We also start our day with exceptional supplementation which includes fish oil, a probiotic, vitamin D, and our plant based nutrition, which you can find here. We do not miss a day of this nutrition. It contains over 92 vitamins and minerals, all from one plant, all fully absorbed at the cellular level. It keeps us healthy and energized!
6. Do Something For You-- I try to breathe for a second and enjoy a hot Maca drink (I will talk about this later), or my turmeric tea, or whatever you choose. These both warm me up, calm me down, have numerous health benefits, and give me energy. I also use this time to rethink my plan for the day. What's on my agenda and what are the key things that must get done? And then, I go straight into action.
I find having a morning routine to be a life changer. It gives me a sense of accomplishment in checking things off of my list early in the morning, keeps me focused, and ensures a productive, successful day. What are some of your favorite morning routines? Or do you still detest the mornings? They are inevitable, so I encourage you to find your rhythm, embrace the new day early, and do big things!
Building a community of empowered women to feel confident in their lives, health, and finances.
Wife and mother of 2•Lover of Jesus•Natural Health Advocate with a love for superfoods and essential oils•Yoga/fitness addict•People loving introvert•Lifelong Buckeye State Girl•Speech Pathologist by Trade•Momprenuer•Big picture girl who never stops dreaming (but avoids details and rules)•I love helping women realize the impact they can have on their life by utilizing natural health and living a bold and intentional life. I am so honored that you are here.
Disclaimer: I am simply a mom who has taken great lengths to restore her own health and that of her family. I am not a doctor nor a certified health practitioner. I'm simply a well read and self educated momma who loves natural health and wellness and who fully believes that we have the power to take our health into our own hands.
Many (but not all) of the links on my site are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that I may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps me to maintain this website and support my family. I only link to products that I use and stand firmly behind.